Let’s be candid, nutrition is one of the hardest changes our [[companyame1]] members experience, but it’s also the most rewarding. What to eat in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and crazes are always emerging.
Diets aren’t sustainable. Why? Because most diets focus on limiting something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also unwise. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the right way to function properly. Starving your body of vital nutrients is detrimental to both your physical and mental health. In addition, research shows that only 1% of people who diet solo actually drop their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important piece of our program. Since beginning our 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same method when it comes to nutrition—keeping it simple! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food consumption.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” added to our food have significantly changed over the years. We teach our members about making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to succeed.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program different?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important element of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to treat yourself every once in a while, it’s become accepted in our society making obesity an epidemic. Our members are trained that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that manner. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t count calories! We don’t concentrate on calories because many foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a better fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more substantial than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific method to determine your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you determine how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, allowing your body to stay in “burn mode” rather than “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to include good fat in our diets as it provides needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get elsewhere.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food goes into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is eaten, our bodies go into “store mode” turning extra sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members eat smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to top off the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program flexible. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are encouraged to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they eat those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you give your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly composed of water, so drinking enough water is essential to our overall health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps ease muscle aches. Our members try to drink at least 10 glasses of water each day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help make you feel full faster, allowing you to keep portions in check.
So, you could spend lots of money on fad diets, specific meals that tally points, recording calories or removing every tasty food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the expense of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and gain confidence and energy.
Find a location to get more information about our comprehensive program and to join! You won’t believe how much you can transform in only 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread each day with the Farrell's program too!